Saturday, 30 August 2014

It been some time since my last posting, but at last some progress on the lower linkage mount. Having spent quite a lot of time creating a spreadsheet to model where the linkage point should be it was 'just' a case of making some brackets. My initial idea was to weld a plate under the frame and use this to attach the supporting plates. In the end I decided to cut the original engine mounts out and replace them with a plate which also formed the lower linkage mount. This would mean the load was transferred to structurally solid part of the bike (the engine). The lower linkage is narrower than the engine mount so the plates had to be bent to suit and to add complication they needed to be asymmetric which was difficult to get right. Anyway I now have two plates which will need a fair amount of bracing to stop lateral movement but are a good start.

Its not obvious but the plates extend down to the engine mounts and to ease fitting I removed the centre section of the frame which will need to be welded back in. The pivot point is slotted so that I can alter the rising rate once it is all fitted.